Stuck at Home Thumbprints
Yield: 32 cookies
- Level: Easy
- Total: 45 min
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 25 min
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- 7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (this is optional but tastes amazing!)
- Raspberry and/or apricot jam Or Pecans with Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until just combined, and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1-ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and have your littles ones press a light indentation into the top of each with their finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.
Spring Bark! 16 ounces Vanilla Baking Bar (or Almond Bark)
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Springtime Chocolate Candies (M&Ms or Cadbury’s work great)
- 3/4 cup Salted Pretzel Sticks
- Springtime or Easter Sprinkles
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper then set the pan aside.
- Chop vanilla baking bar into small pieces then place them into a microwave safe dish.
- Heat the vanilla pieces in the microwave for one minute. Stir until the melted candy is smooth. If needed, microwave the candy for another 15-20 seconds. Do not overheat.
- Pour white chocolate chips into a microwave safe dish then heat for one minute. Stir until smooth.
- Spread an even layer of the melted vanilla candy onto the prepared pan or plate. Drop dollops of the melted white chocolate chips over the candy layer then use a butter knife to swirl the melted vanilla and white chocolate together.
- Before the bottom layer begins to set lightly press the pretzel sticks and chocolate eggs onto the melted candy. Top the layer of pretzels and eggs with colorful sprinkles then use a teaspoon to lightly press them into Bark.
- Place your spring treat in the refrigerator for one hour or until set.
- Remove the pan from the fridge then break the bark into snack size pieces.
- Store pretzel bark in a large zipper bag or an airtight container.