The Niles Ave. Dog Park location is South Bend’s first dog park, a pilot program moved to fruition by the local neighborhood and dog park advocates in downtown and the near northeast area. The park is a safe, fun and inviting environment for dogs and their owners. Please beware this is a use-at-your-own-risk, unmonitored facility. The park is divided into large dog/small dog partitions and provides several interactive amenities for owners and dogs to use for play and socialization.
The Rum Village Dog Park offers an area for small dogs, large dogs, community area available for rental, pavilion and more. Tucked away in the beautiful wooded Rum Village Park, you’ll feel like you aren’t even in the city. Rum Village is home to diverse wildlife. Over a hundred species of birds have been seen at Rum Village, including nesting owls, woodpeckers, and warblers. Foxes, deer, reptiles and amphibians can also be found in Rum Village.
Dog Park Rules
- Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the park. Owners must keep leash in hands and remain in voice control of their dogs at all times.
- The City of South Bend is not responsible for injuries to dogs, their owners, handlers, or others that use the park. This area is for dogs and handlers only.
- DOG WASTE MUST BE CLEANED UP IMMEDIATELY BY THE DOG OWNERS AND PLACED IN THE TRASH RECEPTACLES PROVIDED.
- Dogs must be current with all vaccinations, healthy, and wearing a collar with identification and current rabies tag at all times.
- Dogs in heat and puppies under 4 months of age are prohibited.
- Limit 3 dogs per adult. Pets other than dogs prohibited.
- Dog owners responsible for ensuring their dogs do not escape from fenced area.
- Children under 16 must be supervised by an adult. No running children!
- Dogs showing aggression toward people or other animals must immediately be removed from park.
- Dog owners must be in the park with their dogs at all times.
- Dog owners responsible for filling holes & repairing damage caused by their dogs.
- No smoking, food, or beverages within the park.
Any incident or violation should be reported immediately to the South Bend Police Department at (574) 235-9201 / Emergencies dial 911. For maintenance or operational concerns, call South Bend Venues Parks & Arts at 574-299-4765.
Any person bringing a dog into this facility assumes the legal responsibility, jointly and severally; with the owner of the dog for any damage, disease, or injury to persons; other dogs or property; caused by the dog. All persons using the facility, by entering it, agree to indemnify the City of South Bend and hold South Bend harmless for any harm resulting from the use of this facility. South Bend Venues Parks & Arts, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to prohibit the use of the City’s dog park should a user of this dog park be a nuisance to others enjoying the dog park or be a repeat violators of any rules of the dog park.