Are you welcomed home with a slobbery wet kiss and wagging tail after a long day at work or school? Nearly 44% of all households in the United States are, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). As the popularity of owning a dog increases, so does the new era for dog-specific products and services. Moreover, studies have shown Millennials are likely to spend their discretionary income on their fur-babies.
What does this have to do with South Bend? A growing Millennial population in our city means a new type of demand—the Rum Village Dog Park. Want to throw your pup a birthday party? Bring balloons, because the city’s newest dog park can accommodate with a specific fenced-in area for rent. Want to take a scenic walk with your dog off the leash? Rum Village’s dog park is the perfect place to get some exercise in for you and your furry friend. The location will feature areas for large and small dogs as well as a socialization area, so whether your pet is big or small, there’s a place for them at the Rum Village Dog Park!
Fun Dog Facts
- Americans spend over $60 billion annually on their pets since 2015 according to American Pet Products Association.
- 36% of Americans give their dog birthday presents and have a form of birthday parties for them according to Pet Secure.
- 74% of pet owners experienced mental health improvements from pet ownership according to Human Animal Bond Research Institute.
- Dog parks have grown by 89% since 2007 according to The Trust for Public Land.
- It’s estimated that 78 million dogs are owned in the US according to ASPCA.
“Dog parks make South Bend a better place. It’s not just great for the animals; it’s great for community. The more things that different kinds of people have in common, the better.”
– Mayor Pete Buttigieg
Entire plan information can be found online at mysbparksandtrails.com, including a full project list, city plans, park study results, project renderings, construction schedules, public meetings, event schedules and more.